Saturday, August 25, 2012

Getting Stuck in Innsbruck

After I left Kira in Munich, I took the train back to Zurich via Innsbruck (since I have a free train pass in Austria). My train pass in Switzerland is only free after 7pm, so the plan was to spend a little while in Innsbruck before hopping on the express to Zurich. I figured that meant I could explore until 7, so I wandered out into Innsbruck and saw the golden roof (secretly tiny, but in a nice oldtown area) and got a glimpse of the ski jump left over from when the winter Olympics were held there.
Innsbruck! Very pretty, very Alpine.

After exploring, I headed back to the train station and looked at the departure board for my train.

No train.

I went to the information counter to ask when my train was coming, and was informed that it had left at 5:45. It didn't cross into Switzerland until after 7pm, which was why that train worked with my pass, but I hadn't checked because I was sure I couldn't take any train unless it started after 7. Oops.

Bigger problem: no more trains to Zurich that night.

I found free wifi in the station and texted Martin in a panic, desperate to get to Zurich that night. Even though I was convinced that if I just wanted a train badly enough it would appear, it really was impossible. Martin called his wonderful parents and told me to get on the next train to Feldkirch (near Liechtenstein).

I was mortified: it was going to be the middle of the night by the time I got to that station, and I'm really not good at screwing up. Not that I'm not good at making mistakes (obviously that happens all the time), I just prefer to quietly sweep up my own mess and move right along. When it turns out I really need help, it's an ugly little learning experience every time.  I was also just exhausted enough for this to seem like a much bigger deal than it really was.

Still, I have rarely been so happy to see someone as I was to see Martin's mom waiting on the platform in Feldkirch (at midnight, let's not forget). I spent the night at their house and took an evening train to Zurich the next day. Everything worked out, but I am so glad I'm not alone here! And now I check the schedule about a million times before I leave the station.

Love Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment