Saturday, August 25, 2012

I'm a Legal Resident!


Hello all, so sorry it's been so long!

Along with exploring Zurich and other fun activities, I've been working on getting my residence in Switzerland figured out. I finally did!

First I had to get my visa--a process that started well before I left the USA, but which only ended a couple of weeks ago when I went to Munich to finally pick it up and have my passport stamped. What a relief! Waiting for something important is really hard when there's nothing you can do to speed up the process. 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=c06d85359a&view=att&th=1395d27a62f6ba7f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9RMznzSmH_lq6_jNanl9nG&sadet=1345889374284&sads=SWTjJO1I3cVfZJtLPFa3Q3eCkmM&sadssc=1
Swiss consulate in Munich. Can you tell this is the Google StreetView photo I used to make sure I could find it? I really love screenshots for navigating without a data plan.

The bonus of having to leave the country to get my visa, though, was that I got to spend some more time wandering around Munich, which Kira and Laurel and I had visited on our travels. I hit the daily farmer's-type market for lunch and train snacks, and had a lovely time wandering and picking up little things to munch on the train ride home.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=c06d85359a&view=att&th=1395d27a62f6ba7f&attid=0.3&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9RMznzSmH_lq6_jNanl9nG&sadet=1345889461210&sads=epkaGyYpmvArnYUbAFWWccOm6X4 
I love farmer's markets. Markets of any kind. It's my favorite thing to see when I'm traveling!

Once I had the visa, I had to go to the Kreisbüro (the city of Zurich is divided into units called Kreis..es. I'm not sure how to cross-lingually pluralize that) to give them things like my rental contract and a passport photo and lots of personal information. After that, I was given an appointment at the Cantonal office (Cantons are like Swiss states) here in Zurich to have my fingerprints, photo, and retina scans taken. Seriously, retina scans. There's a reason James Bond villains choose Switzerland beyond the scenery. They promised to mail my permit, and I was back to waiting.

Yesterday I had a certified mail slip in our box, and today on my run I went by the post office and picked it up. I am now a legal resident of Switzerland! This means I can get a cell phone contract, and bank account--no more fees for changing money to Swiss Francs!--and can use my American driver's license to get a Swiss one! I feel like a real person!

Hopefully all of those places are open on Saturday...somehow I don't think they will be.

Love Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment