Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Limmat

The Limmat is the river that runs northeast out of Lake Zurich through the Zurich city center. The downtown area of Zurich is located at the point where the lake turns into the river (called Bellvue) and downstream from there. It's lined with nice stores and apartments, and it makes a very picturesque backdrop for the city.
 
Looking South across the Limmat. So European!

Right now, the river is super high because it's been raining a lot around here plus the snow is melting off the Alps. It's not too terribly cold (by Lake Tahoe standards), but I've been told that it will get much warmer before the end of the summer. Along the riverfront there are lots of cafes and restaurants, as well as bars and bathing areas. Martin and I were downtown the other day and stopped to sit on one of the riverfront docks where people read, swim and tan.
 
Hi Martin! We had beautiful weather that day.

I'm excited to go floating down the river later this summer, so far the extent of my interaction with the water has been running by the lake and walking along, over, or near the Limmat. We found Zurich's version of boathouse row on our run yesterday, so maybe I'll get to go out and row sometime soon! I hope so, I've been away from the sport for a month! That's a record.

Love Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment